Top 5 tips for maintaining a healthy diet
- Fill your shopping trolley with fresh fruit and vegetables - it'll save you money, think about the price per kilo of fresh produce e.g. $2-$10/kg compared to processed/packaged/junk food which can be 10 times the price. Strawberry punnets for example are $2.99 at the moment from Brighton Road.
- Divide your plate - When in doubt aim for 1/2 plate vegies, 1/4 plate low gi/unrefined carbohydrates (such as brown rice, potatoes) and 1/4 plate lean protein of choice (100g of fish, chicken).
- Prioritise your afternoon tea - Think about the time between lunch and dinner, often 6-8 hours. No wonder you are tired and don't feel like anything but the couch after work. Think fresh fruit/veg with a small amount of an unrefined carbohydrate of choice and protein eg natural yoghurt with tb nuts, sprinkle of oats and piece of fruit.
- Fish fuels your brain and assists recovery - Aim to consume 2-3, 150g serves of oily fish/week for heart and brain health, it'll also assist recovery post training due to the anti-inflammatory properties.
- Consistency is king - one bad meal won't break you, just like one good meal won't make you. Make good choices as many times as possible across the week (not healthy from Mon-Thurs and then very average over the weekend).