This versatile root is naturally sweet, making it ideal for roasting, in a smoothie and dips. This dip has the most amazing colour – who needs artificial colours when we have these natural beauties - and is rich in vitamin C, magnesium and iron.
- 1 beetroot, peeled (wear dark clothes!)
- Juice of ½ lemon, or 1 lime
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1-1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Maybe some cooking liquid from the beetroot
Simmer beetroot for about 5-7 minutes. Gently fry garlic in olive oil with cumin until aromatic. Watch that the garlic doesn’t burn, as it’ll taste bitter. Put in blender, together with all other ingredients, apart from cooking liquid. Blitz, add some cooking liquid if too dry. Add a chunk of feta cheese, or a tablespoon of yoghurt, for a different flavour.