Hearty Minestrone soup
Less than 5% of Australians achieve the recommended 5 serves of veg each day. Make the most of this cooler weather and enjoy a soup for lunch and dinner! It’ll contribute to your veg intake for the day and most importantly because this soup is high in fibre, protein and liquid, it will fill you up for a relatively lower kilojoule cost. Great for those looking to maintain/lose weight, but still feel satisfied after meals.
Ingredients (Serves: 4)
- Cooking oil spray
- 1 Leek, finely chopped - IN SEASON NOW
- 1 Cauliflower, roughly chopped - IN SEASON NOW
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 x 400g cans organic diced tomatoes - Organic Bella Lucia 420g tins on special for only 99c this week at Brighton Road
- 400g can of borlotti or kidney beans, rinsed
- 50g green beans, trimmed, cut into 3cm lengths
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Fresh parmesan, to serve
Spray a large saucepan with oil and place over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, cauliflower and zucchini and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 1–2 minutes.
Add stock, tomatoes and 2 cups water and stir well. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
Add borlotti/kidney beans and green beans. Cook, stirring, for 1–2 minutes, until pasta is tender. Garnish with parsley and parmesan.